By Deni Shultz
Instead of putting it in a bin… why not use your old newspaper, magazines, wrapping paper,
torn books or even those small pieces of scrap book paper that you don’t know what to do with,
and recycle it into wearable jewelry! Below are super easy instructions on how to create
you can create one of a kind necklaces, earrings or bracelets!!
• Any type of paper (cardboard or cardstock are not great for this project, as it is too thick and
may split or tear while rolling into bead shape, and may be to hard for children to roll)
• Scissors or exacto knife
• Needle or toothpick
• Glue such as Tacky Glue or Mod Podge
• Fishing wire or plastic wire, or similar thread
• Surface safe for cutting & gluing
1. On your protective surface, you want to start by measuring a
triangle from one corner to the opposite end of the paper, as
shown in the image to your right.
BEAD SHAPE & SIZE: The shape of your bead is created by
how thin or wide you make your triangle. The wider the bottom
bead is also created by how long the strip of paper you make
your triangle on, the longer the strip, the larger the bead becomes.
(If you would like a round flat bead, use thick paper
such as card stock or cardboard)
2. Once you have your triangles drawn out, cut them along the
drawn lines, either with your scissors or your exacto knife.
3. Now you are going to start the construction of creating your actual bead. Use your toothpick or needle,
and start from the thickest part of your stirp, begin rolling it tightly around the toothpick or needle. When
you get to end of the paper, put a small dab of glue and press it down onto the bead, and hold it for a few
4. Once you have created all your beads, string them temporarily onto fishing line or similar wire, and brush
When the beads are dry you can use them to create a beautiful piece of jewelry, using other beads to accent
them. Use them to create a necklace, bracelet or even earrings!
And remember, as you create your beads, you can experiment, etc.
For more information visit me at