WORDS BY SHELBY WILSON
These strawberry muffins are perfect. The muffins are packed full of the perfect strawberry bites, and are delicious for breakfast, brunch, or a snack later in the day. They are a great way to use up some strawberries, whether fresh from the grocery or your local produce stand or farmers market.
The muffins aren’t extra sweet, but have just the right amount of sweetness in every bite. And the crumb topping adds the perfect bursts of sweet crumb on top. The crumb topping on these muffins is seriously divine, it might be my favorite part. I could just eat it plain – its that good!
STRAWBERRY MUFFIN INGREDIENTS:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened, 1 stick)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
CRUMB TOPPING INGREDIENTS:
- 1/4 cup butter (melted)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup flour
For the Strawberry Muffins:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the butter and sugar for your muffins in a large mixing bowl. Mix for about 1 minute until nice and creamy.
- Mix in the eggs, one at a time, until just combined.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Combine the baking powder, salt and flour in a medium sized bowl. Whisk together.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and the milk, stirring after each addition, until everything is incorporated and mixed well.
- Carefully fold in the strawberries.
- Scoop the batter into greased muffin tins, filling each about 3/4 full.
For the Crumb Topping:
- In a small bowl combine all the ingredients for the crumb topping until mixed well, using a fork. Until you have a nice crumb.
- Sprinkle the crumb evenly over the tops of the muffin batter.
- Bake for about 16-18 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
These are best eaten fresh or within 1 to 2 days because the crumb topping doesn’t stay crisp.