WORDS BY SHELBY WILSON
Don’t you just love fall! Hopefully the temperatures will soon cooperate…Fall is time for pumpkin spice everything- including these baked pumpkin spice donuts. Make sure you use 100% pumpkin puree” and not “pumpkin pie filling” You will also need a 12 cavity do-nut pan, or a 6 cavity, but you will have to bake more than one batch. The glaze makes these irresistible!
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- 3 Tablespoons butter melted and cooled
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ cup butter melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoon water
Preheat oven to 350F and spray a 12-cavity donut pan with non-stick baking spray.In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and salt.
In a separate bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree and melted butter.
Add eggs, milk, and vanilla and stir well.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, folding in carefully so as not to over-mix.
Pour the batter into a large Ziploc bag and snip off the corner for a makeshift piping bag.
Pipe the batter into the donut pans, filling each mold 2/3 full.
Bake on 350F for 10-12 minutes.
Allow donuts to cool for 5-10 minutes in their pan before carefully removing and allowing to cool completely on cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and pumpkin pie spice.
- Add butter, vanilla extract, and water. Stir until combined.
- Dunk each donut into the glaze and return to cooling rack. Allow glaze to harden before eating and enjoying.