Does that sound good, or what? Try this cherry crisp with some yogurt for breakfast, or warm out of the oven with vanilla ice cream for dessert. You could get crazy and shave some dark chocolate or some orange zest over the top -yum!
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spread out the cherry halves in the bottom of an 8-inch square (or 9-inch round) baking dish. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add the honey, butter and salt. Bring to a foaming boil over medium heat, then cook 3 to 4 minutes until the honey thickens, stirring often so it never burns. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla — it will spatter slightly — then fold in the almonds and oats, continuing to stir until the oats absorb all the honey syrup.
- Drop spoonfuls of the mixture across the cherries, and bake for 22 to 25 minutes or until the almonds are almost a mahogany brown and the cherries are tender and juicy. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes, so the granola hardens slightly, then serve with yogurt.
- ½ pound sweet cherries, halved and pitted (about 1 1/4 packed cups)
- ⅓ cup honey
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup rolled oats
- Yogurt, or vanilla ice cream for serving